Terms and Conditions
THESE ARE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION FOR A TEAM MEMBER IN THE TRAINING FOR AND COMPETING AT THE WELLINGTON DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL. IT IS THE TEAM MANAGER’S RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE THESE KNOWN AND UNDERSTOOD TO EACH INDIVIDUAL TEAM MEMBER. PLEASE COPY AND DISTRIBUTE TO ALL TEAM MEMBERS. TEAM MEMBERS WILL BE ASKED TO INDIVIDUALLY SIGN THIS WAIVER BEFORE THE FESTIVAL COMPETITION.
IN ADDITION BEFORE ANY REPLACEMENT TEAM MEMBER TAKES PART IN TRAINING, THE TEAM MANAGER MUST INFORM THAT PERSON OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
1. Non-swimmers are not permitted in the Dragon Boats. All members must be confident swimmers and able to swim at least 50 metres in light clothes.
2. Life vests must be worn by every person on the boat including, Sweeps, Coaches, Drummers and Paddlers. (Life vests are available to borrow for free from the festival office), however it is recommended each team purchase their own set.
3. No alcohol is to be consumed within the 12 hours before the use of a Dragon Boat. Schools under 18 No Alcohol at all!!
4. Long trousers are not permitted in the boats. Shorts or wetsuits are most appropriate.
5. If the boat capsizes, team members are each expected to look out for their 'buddy' (the person seated next to them); and in the case of the drummer and the Sweep, the closest pair is expected to aid them in forming a trio. Team members must stay with the boat until the rescue craft arrives. Do not attempt to swim to shore.
6. Dragon Boats must give way to, and stay at least 200 metres from, all other moving sea vessels. In the case of larger boats eg. The Interislander vessels and ocean going ships, crews must stay at least 400m away.
7. All teams must understand and have practised on dry land the capsize rules before starting training sessions, and before competing in any event.
8. Team members must comply with any directions given by the Water Training Supervisor and rescue craft operator during the course of training. The authority of the Water Training Supervisor is accepted for training activity.
9. Dragon Boats and crews must stay within the specified limit of Wellington Harbour as detailed on the Safety Poster on the Dragon Boat Shed doors.